Low Fidelity Prototyping: Joining 3D Objects by Compression

For my topic, I originally had trouble figuring out what I would make for prototypes. As simple as “joining 3D objects by compression” sounds, I found a lot of ways of looking at it, and I was not sure which to act on. After a short brainstorming session -and over the course of prototyping- I ironed out what I thought would sufficiently represent this topic.

#1: Compression by Clamp

I felt the most straightforward way of representing 3D objects by compression was to literally squish two objects together. A clamp holding together two foam blocks is a simple way of representing this concept.

#2: K’Nex Truss

In a truss, both tensile and compression forces are needed to hold the structure together. Thus a simple truss made from k’nex pieces can represent this facet of joining 3D objects by compression.

#3: Rubber Band Around 3D Structure

For at least one of my prototypes I wanted to use springs and/or rubber bands to create compression forces. I was able to do so with this small structure made from layers of cardboard taped together, toothpicks, and a coffee straw. The coffee straw bridge in the middle was used to insure that the two cardboard blocks are far enough from each other to make the rubber band tighter, otherwise it would not exert any compression force.

#4: Toothpick Space Truss

Originally planned to be built using popsicle sticks, the 3D and foam ball space truss exhibits the same principle of compression and tensile forces shown in the K’Nex square truss, but this time on a more complicated 3D structure. Putting it together included some initial trial and error as I realized there were two different lengths of toothpick.

#5: Cardboard and Tape I-Beam

In this structure, tape is used to create the compression force pulling the structure together. However, the small I-beam made from cardboard and is more than capable of keeping its shape despite that force. Maybe more tape, applied so that it was tighter, would better demonstrate the force, but I was not sure of how much the three cardboard layers in the center of the object could endure.