3D Printing a Rolling BB-8

1. choosing a file

The file chosen needed to be an “impossible object,” as in, one that could only realistically be made from a 3D printer. I wanted to do something that incorporated movement, as I thought it was one of the most interesting ways to make an interesting impossible object. Additionally, with the new Star Wars movie coming out this winter, I thought something relevant would be an engaging object worth 25 cents. After some searching, I decided on a rotating BB-8 keychain, which has the added benefit of being semi-functional as well as entertaining.

File from Thingiverse.com

2. First Print

I decided to just go ahead an print the object, using a tabletop 3D printer. I did not generate support or use a raft and used 70% infill, a high value to ensure it was strong enough to act as a keychain. While it was functional, it turned out somewhat messy, especially on the bottom, and the rotating inner piece had to be painstakingly cut away with a knife. I also didn’t really like the purple color very much.

First prototype BB-8

With Rotating Center

3. Final Print

I decided to use one of the other tabletop 3D printers, and generated a raft which helped with making the bottom come out more cleanly. I also used white filament, which is more true to the original BB-8 design. Ideally, one would use two filaments, but that was out of the scope of this assignment. The raft helped create a much cleaner piece, and was smoothly rotating right out of the printer. I still did not generate support, as that wasn’t necessary and could mess up the rotation.

Final prototypes – Back

Final Prototype – Front

It just barely fit within the gumball container.

Close squeeze with the gumball container