Laser Cutting: An Exposure to Kerfs

Delving into the laser cutter, this week’s project challenged us to make a box (but with the laser cutter this time!). Since I have some experience with the machine, I decided to tackle the intermediate task: creating a box with sections for each of the upcoming projects we will have in ENGI 210.

First, I finalized the layout through Adobe Illustrator, drawing out squares for all the spaces needed for different pieces. In order to keep a clean design and minimize parts, the center lines intersect (shown below). Next, makeabox.io was used to generate the outer box with inner dimensions of 12″ by 8″. The image below shows the final settings used, and the kerf was determined as 0.011″. This kerf value was determined after some tests in which I laser cut small pieces at different kerf settings (with some consistency on the power and speed). Through testing, I tried out kerf settings of 0.0024″, 0.007″, 0.008″, 0.009″, 0.010″, 0.011″, 0.016″, 0.020″, and 0.024″. For most of the testing, I applied tape to the test piece because my final cuts would be done with tape applied. The teeth size was also kept constant.

With an outer box generated (shown below), I removed the top side of the box since the final design was going to have an open side. Next, I placed the compartment template generated earlier within the base piece of the box but on a different layer. The compartment template was used as a guiding point for creating the inner pieces that would mesh with the main structure of the box. The existing teeth locations were used as markers for making inner teeth slots. As a final step, text was added to each section on the base so that it could be engraved (shown below).

With all the files ready, the box was ready for laser cutting. First, tape was applied on top of the wood in order to prevent burn marks. The base can be seen being cut out below. After the base was laser cut, the tape was removed so that the engraving could be conducted, resulting in the finished product (shown below). I added a McMurtry College crest to spice up the design.

All other pieces were cut in a similar fashion, leading to the finished product below!

Lessons Learned

After making the compartmentalized box, I learned a few tricks for producing cleaner laser cut products. I realized that while taping the top prevents burn marks on the top of the wood, the laser cutter still ends up burning the bottom. In the future, I’m planning on trying tape on both sides to remedy this problem. My existing box shows some signs of the burning which I’ve tried to sand down. On a similar note, I learned that removing the tape leaves the surface a bit rough (pictured below). In this case, I also sanded it down to make it smoother.

Cost Analysis

The majority of the work done on this project was either designing on illustrator or laser cutting the wood. Actual assembly of the box did not take that long. The only material cost was the wood.

• Material: 1/4″ plywood, 2′ x 4′, $12.00
    • https://www.homedepot.com/p/Columbia-Forest-Products-1-4-in-x-2-ft-x-4-ft-PureBond-Red-Oak-Plywood-Project-Panel-Free-Custom-Cut-Available-1994/204311240
  • Work Time, 7 hours, $70
  • Total Cost: $82