Let the Sparks Fly!

This project was to use the plasma cutter and stylize a diamond to our taste, then cut and post process it. As the piece itself lists the steps I took, this post will be more illustrative with in progress photos from each step (read: prepare for the photo dump!).

I started by modifying the Illustrator file to make a diamond cutout with four almond shapes arranged around it. I plasma cut this first draft during my turn with Dr. Wettergreen, then decided I wanted the outline to curve slightly as well. Up to now I’d just used the curve pen tool, but to make a uniform outside curve Annabelle referred me to the arc tool. Using that, some guide lines, and the shift-alt-drag to scale my shape centered and proportional, I fit my curves in tangent to the edges of the diamond given.

1. Plasma cut – This is a clip of my first cut, with the diamond border unchanged. The plasma cutter is fun! I cut four pieces so I would have two spares, because we had to produce two identical final pieces to show intentional post-processing choices.

2.  Angle grind – Carlos showed me how to use the angle grinder. It’s much faster than filing, but can scratch up the face of the metal. I used it on the backs of the pieces to get rid of the slag.

3.  File edges and holes – this was the most labor intensive step. I spent probably an hour just filing the outside edges and the holes. I had planned the holes to be large enough for the big curved file to fit in, and fortunately that worked; I could smooth out the wavering lines from the plasma cut.

4.  Wire brush back and edges – To smooth out those scratches on the back and edges, I used the wire brush wheel in the machine shop. It gave a nice textured surface (lower left).

Wire brushed back, sanded front.

5.  Sand front – I used 1000 grit sandpaper to smooth out some slight scratches and surface stains on the front of the diamonds. It made the surface more uniform as well.

Sanded with 1000 grit, top left.

6.  Spray paint green – Now for the colors! I wanted my piece to look somewhat floral or natural but very geometric, abstracted. I’d been thinking of a gradient from blue to purple, but I couldn’t find purple spray paint. Instead I experimented on paper, and decided on yellow to green.

A first and second coat of green.

7.  Spray paint yellow through screen – I wanted the center to be yellow, as if the middle is blooming out. I brought out my cardboard practice cut from the laser cut box and sealed it up with tape, then cut a diamond hole in it to make a screen to spray through.

8.  Label – On Nick’s wise advice, I found the label maker to put instructions for post-processing on the back of my diamonds. It was very convenient and made neat little labels.

Lots of little labels.

Altogether, I’m very happy with my finished pieces! Of the four I post-processed, three turned out almost identical (the fourth had the yellow off center).

The final pieces.

Cost analysis: Altogether I spent 7.5 hours at $20/hour, so $150. Half an hour of that was machine time (plasma cutter and label maker), at $30/hour making for $15. The materials used were 1 sq.ft. of 1/16″ aluminum sheet, $12.50 (1’x2′ for $25), and equivalent of 1/4 bottle of spray paint total ($0.99 worth of a $3.98 bottle). This brings the total to $178.49 for my four pieces.