Casting and Breaking

Concrete! This was a fun activity where we molded our fingers with alginate and cast them on concrete. At first as a group of two, I molded my hand in the alginate and after 15 minutes, I carefully removed my hand. The result is as shown.

Now that I knew how the alginate worked, I molded my fingers twice, and after 20 minutes, I mixed the concrete and poured it in. After waiting the day, the concrete looked ready! I carefully removed the concrete but unfortunately, my concrete fingers broke!

After realizing how badly my concrete fingers came out, I started to cast it again using an updated set of instructions including waiting for an extended period. 

After inspecting the alginate closer, there was water in the cup! About 10mL of water spilled out as I turned over the cup! I waited a bit longer for it to dry to no avail. Days later, it was still as wet as a cucumber. I decided to continue with the project, however, right before I could pour the concrete, we were told to not proceed with the pouring as the material was old and that was probably the reason for the failed first cast.

Defiant, I cast my finger anyway and am currently waiting an extended period to make sure it is well dried before messing with the cast. I will update this post with more information and pictures as I demold my fingers soon.