Box Struggles

For this assignment we were tasked with making a 12″x12″x16″ box. Leaving this assignment until just before the due date was a mistake, as when I went to the OEDK to begin, I could not find any pieces of wood big enough, so because I was pressed for time, I just decided to make a box with smaller dimensions.

I was able to find a 3/4″ thick piece of plywood, measuring about 13″x12″.

Using the table saw in the wood shop, I cut this piece into four parts which would be used as the sides of my box, as shown below.

I used a corner clamp to align three sides of the box; with the sides aligned, I first drilled pilot holes with an 1/8″ drill bit. Then, I went upstairs and found wood screws of various lengths (mostly around 1.5″ or 2″). I screwed the sides together. To attach the final side, I used a hand clamp to clamp the three sides of the box to the table and repeated the process of drilling pilot holes before putting the screws in.

Once the sides of the box were all attached, I went to the wood shop and used the router to smooth out the top edge of the box.

Then, I attached the bottom of the box to the rest of the box. I proceeded to sand the entire box, first using 60 grit and then with 100 grit to create a smoother surface.

After sanding the box, I applied a mahogany stain to the outside and inside of the box.

Estimate of cost