No Such Thing As Too Much Sanding.

“Build a Box!” easy right? maybe, and maybe not…

this process proved to be more challenging than initially expected (if you’re an OCD perfectionist). Here is a breakdown of the steps followed:

1. Cut the pieces: to make sure the pieces are equal and to reduce waste, I cut the original board set by the TAs to 4 equal pieces.. or as equal as I could.
  2. Initial sanding: with phobia of getting small micro-sized wood chips stabbed into my hand, I made sure to sand the pieces really well with 60 then 320 paper sand, from all areas, before touching it with my bare hands.
  3. Alignment: this was the most critical (and stressful) step. The pieces were not actually equal and had to be recut.
  4. Take two: realigning the recut pieces was this time easier but the pieces were not perfect.
  5. Adding the screws: for this I used the steps taught in class; drilling a smaller hole for the screw, followed by a bigger hole with a larger-sized drill head (1/8) then adding the screws. I added two screws on each end. That should do the job!
  6. “All about that BASE”: cutting the base was easy, just a matter of measuring dimensions and nicely asking the TA for help.
  7. Alignment, again: as the bottoms of the 4 sides were not flat, I needed to sand it as close as possible to flat. after a whole lot of sanding (drums, please..) it was still not flat.
  8. The final stage of grief is acceptance: I’m not perfect, and neither is my box. There were still spaces between the base and the sides, however, it carries the poetic imperfection of firsts. Like a child’s first step. It’s the milestone that’s celebrated, and not how it looked.
  9. Safety first: I’ve scraped my shins enough times at the gym doing step-ups on a wooden box. I made it a priority to not have any sharp edges. All corners of the box were religiously sanded to be smooth and safe.
  10. Glamify! after so much work put into this baby, gotta protect it! I applied 3 coats of the “matte clear Rust-oleum” spray coat to “seal protect and revitalize” the end product. The details of the box darkened with the coats giving it a more aesthetically pleasing look & feel.

Voila! A box is born.

Cost analysis: assuming “rental” cost for equipment and machines used in the making, the box itself was of low cost. The wood itself is ~$10, screws ~$3, woodshop with tech help ~$25 per day (estimated from other woodshop services available), labor was in this case, free. The cost of the box making is ~$40.

edges before sanding

edges after sanding