Blog 5: Big Box

For this week, we are assigned to build a 16″x16″x12″ box out of wood without the use of glue. The first step for me was to plan out the dimensions of the 5 pieces of wood I have to cut based on the thickness of the wood (0.7″). I wanted the wood to be secured on two sides of the box instead of 4 (as per the instructions) because I thought it looked more symmetrical. This meant that I would have 2 larger pieces (16″x11.3″) and 2 smaller pieces (15.4″x11.3″) for the side. The bottom would be 16″ x 16″. I then cut these pieces of wood using a table saw.

Once I have all 5 sides of the box cut, I assembled the walls of my box using clamps. Once the pieces were secured with the clamps, I marked with a pencil where I want the screws to be, drilled the pilot and countersink holes, and drove my screws in those holes. Once I have the walls built, I placed the bottom piece on, clamped it, drilled the pilot and countersink holes, and drove the screw in. After I made sure all the screws were secured, I took off the clamps, and now I have a box.

The next step is to post-process it the way I want. I started off with routing the outer edge of the top of the box, then I sanded the whole box with the random orbit sander, first with an 80 grit, then with a 220 grit. After the sanding, I wiped the box down to remove the dust from the sanding the proceeded to put on a coating of Feed-N-Wax wood polish and conditioner. I left it on for about an hour and then wiped it down to remove the excess. I chose this product because I felt that it was less toxic and stinky compared to spray paint or other products.

Failures

While drilling the countersink holes, I split the wood at the bottom of the box which is not ideal. I also slightly split the wood when I drove one of the screws in, but luckily this one isn’t as noticeable. What I learned from this is that plywood is very easy to split especially when internal layers have gaps/holes and that drilling into plywood should be avoided when possible.

Cost

This cost analysis assumes you have access to the tools and machines such as a table saw, router, drill, etc, and therefore the main costs are the materials and labor.

• Wood: $47.58
  • Feed-N-Wax: $8.98
  • Screws: $8.97
  • Labor (4.5hr): $45
  • Total: $110.53

Final thoughts

Looking at the cost of this project, it is definitely not worth the money or time, but I learned a lot about post-processing and finishing wood.