The Slots made the box unexpectedly more practical

This homework involved making a box out of plywood or wooden planks with dimensions of 16″x16″x12″.

Since I started this project later than I optimally would have, there weren’t many large pieces of wood still available for me to use. Fortunately, I was able to find one piece of 1/2″-inch thick plywood square that was large enough to serve as my base. Since the remaining wood available to make planks out of was 3/4″-inch thick, this initial bottom of my box measured 14.5″ x 14.5″serve as the overlapping base of the box. The rest of the box I sectioned off into 8  equal rectangles measuring 5.5″ wide by 15.25″ long by 0.75″ thick. To make my dimensions and later cuts precise, I used a 90-degree straight edge to alight my ruler up against the wood as I marked dimensions. I also put down tape on the inner portion of each dimension to serve as a guide when I was cutting.

With the wood cut out, I needed to put the box together. First, I made two square slates the would form the sides of the box using various clamps and drill bits.

Next, I screwed in the rectangular dowels that would form the support structure the box slides would adhere to.

Then, I slid the first ring of box around the supports, fastened it using a variety of drill bets and screw drivers, and repeated the process a second time for the second ring of the box.

Eventually, the box began to look like this. The major exception being that y box had two slots running across it unlike the three shown above. Once the box was made, it was time to sand. I sorta cheater by using the hand-held sander to sand off the majority of my box, but once it was sanded, I cleaned it with mineral oil and then applied the wood wax to add some moisture into the wood.

Now with the box sanded and pot-processed with oil, I sought to add a waterproof covering to the outside of the box that also painted it black. This process resulted in the following box.

It should be noted that the stickers and other ornaments on the box were not present at this time. Once the plastic coating had dried, I did my best to try to decorate is as a “Solar System” them by making planets an attaching pictures of stars, comets, meteors, other plates, etc.

While I did finish part of this decorative process, I eventually ran out of time and did not complete my entire solar system. I will need to do that later.

Well, that about wraps up my box project. It’s a sturdy box that I will definitely use, and while I wish some of the dimensions were tighter and that I had sanded the box after applying the post-processing paint,  the remaining decorations I still have het to add give me something to work on when I have down time.

Cost analysis:

10 hours x $7.25 per hours = $72.5

Estimate $32 for 3/4″x2ftx4ft plywood

I used approximately 2 square ft of 3/4” plywood

For 25% of $32 = $8

Estimate $24 for 1/2’x2ftx4ft plywood

I used about 3 square ft of 1/2″ plywood

For 75% of $24 = $18

Wood Cost = $26

Wood screws = free from OEDK

Tools = Free from OEDK

Paint/Varnish = Free from OEDK

Total Cost = $72.5 + $8 + $18 = $98.50

Total: $98.5

(This box was a learning experience where money did not play a significant role in our design and thought processes. Obviously, you can buy a box for much cheaper but the skills learned by making the box from scratch are priceless and warrant its material costs)