Waterjet Cutting

In this week’s assignment of waterjet cutting a diamond, I cutted a diamond with a shark outline in the center out of aluminum. 

I downloaded the diamond file from the canvas page and found a shark outline from thenounproject.com. I combined the two files and sent the file to the waterjet cutter’s Protomax applications to begin the waterjet cutting process.

Waterjet cutter set-up for cutting the diamonds.

The diamonds had sharp edges as the pressure of the water cutting through caused the edges of the aluminum to curve downwards. To fix this, I filed the edges down with a filer to smooth out the rougher edges. 

Sharp edges due to pressure from waterjet cutter.

Once smooth, I used the sandblaster in the woodshop and sandblasted both sides of the diamond to smooth out the surfaces. After cleaning up the debris, I spray painted the front surface with Royal Blue spray paint that also added a glossy finish.

Smoother edges from filing, smoother surface from sandblasting.

Spray painting diamonds blue.

Cost Analysis: 

Aluminum:  I used a total of approximately three 2’’x2’’ pieces 0.25cm thick aluminum. A 4’’x 8’’ piece of aluminum that is 1/16’’ thick costs $2.25. The total price for the aluminum used in this project is $0.84.

Waterjet Cutter:  I used the waterjet cutter for approximately 1.5 minutes for each diamond. I cut a total of 3 diamonds so I used the waterjet cutter for 4.5 minutes total. Waterjet cutters use approximately 2.5kWh of electricity. In Texas, it costs $0.12 per 1kWh, so the total electricity cost of the laser cutter is $0.3. 

Sandblaster:  The sandblaster uses 90 watts which I used for 10 minutes, totalling to approximately 0.09kWh. In Texas, it costs $0.12 per 1kWh, so the total electricity cost of the laser cutter is $0.012. 

Spray-paint: I used approximately 1/100th of the spray bottle can. At $5.98 a bottle, the total cost for the paint used is approximately $0.06.

Labor: I asked for help from a lab assistant for approximately 15 minutes. At $10/hour, the total labor cost for this assignment is $2.5. 

The total cost for this assignment is $3.712.