Summer’s Reasons for Taking ENGI 210

a. Who are you and what activities are you engaged in at Rice?

My name is Summer, and I am a junior at Baker studying bioengineering on the pre-med/pre-grad track. I also study biochemistry & cell biology, engineering design, and Spanish 🙂

I am originally from New York City, I have three siblings (all brothers), and my favorite color is yellow. I like to listen to music (and play piano and viola whenever I have the chance) and I’m currently working on reading more books!

At Rice, I am involved in leading the Muslim Student Association and the National Society for Black Engineers chapter. I have also completed research on genetic engineering and am currently involved in working on global health projects in and outside of class.

b. What is one thing that you have made that you are proud of?

Unfortunately, we didn’t make it, but I worked with a team to design a mask that included a nitric oxide detector to help asthmatic patients and their doctors determine when they are at risk for a severe asthma attack. I was proud of the project because I had very limited experience in engineering and was able to learn about very different fields including bioengineering and app development.

c. What is one thing that you want to make (this semester or in the future)?

I am currently enrolled in BIOE 360, so I hope to make a device to help address serious disparities between the health systems in America and abroad. More specifically, there are projects that address conditions that are highly treatable in America but fatal in some African countries.

d. What is one thing that you hope to learn in ENGI 210?

I hope to learn woodworking and 3D printing. They are really important skills that help perfect a prototype and I hope to improve on these skills this semester.