Sewing An Apron

As a pandemic hobby, I picked up sewing after watching a few seasons of Project Runway, but I haven’t used a sewing machine to make a whole project in about a year. Overall, I had a lot of fun working with the sewing machine again!

1. Choosing Apron Size/Making Pattern:

I chose to make my apron a size medium, which means it has a length of 32 inch with a width of 24 inches. After drawing the outline on pattern paper, I cut out my fabric from a plaid print which assisted a lot in ensuring my lines/sewing were straight.

2. Sewing Machine:

I pinned all the side of my apron over and secured them with pins to ensure uniform edges. After this I used a green thread on the sewing machine to secure the sides. I found this part to be the easiest part of making the apron because the fabric holds its shape so I didn’t have to worry about shaky lines/stitches.

3. The Straps… :

This the first time I’ve ever sewn a box stitch, and it shows in my first attempts. If I could redo anything about this project, I would’ve practiced the box stitch on leftover fabric instead of assuming it would be as intuitive as the last step. Both the neck and waist straps tie in the back for easy adjustments and the ends of the straps are sewn with straight stitches to prevent fraying as I work in this apron.

4. The Final Product!

I’m happy with the finished apron! I’m glad that the box stitches aren’t visible because that is probably the low point of this project, but they are durable and hold up the apron which is their main purpose!

Cost:

Materials: Yard of plaid fabric – $7, Straps/thread – negligible costs (I used little compared to the bulk they are sold in)

Time cost: $15/hr x 4 hours in OEDK – $60

Total cost: Rough estimate is $67 when provided with the tools and resources at OEDK.