A Valiant CNC Effort

1. Design 

To start, I used a disco ball SVG I found on the noun project and used illustrator to make a border around it. The final dimensions of the disco ball are 3.5″ x 3.5″.

2. The X-Carve

I’m not sure why I find the x-carve so intimidating; I think it’s probably because it’s loud and acts more unpredictably than the laser cutter (in my opinion). I used a 1/8 in straight cut bit; I would’ve preferred a down cut for a cleaner finish but, I didn’t see any around the x-carve. I cut the designs into a .46 in thick piece of plywood and each disco ball has a difference depth cut for the design.

When I carved the first ball (the one with a larger depth), one of the design elements was carved/knocked off during the CNC process. So, for the second one I used a shorter depth in hopes to avoid the splintering that led to my first noun being partly faulty. The second ball has much more splintering but, the whole design is intact. Overall, I think I prefer the larger depth because, even though a piece is not there, it looks more finished as it has less splintering.

3. Disco ball or … Grenade?

After carving the disco ball, I used a glittery/metallic nail polish I had to paint the “mirrored” part of the disco ball to make the design more identifiable. Before applying the nail polish, I used sandpaper to file away the splintering from the x-carve

4. Conclusion 

I wish my CNC nouns came out more perfect and didn’t have imperfections that are marks of my trouble with the x-carve. I think if I had more time to become familiar with the bits and how to securely clamp down my piece of wood, the disco balls would have less imperfections.

Cost: 

2 hrs at x-carve X $20/ hr = $40

Small piece of scrap wood = $5

Nail polish = $5

x-carve = $2,600

Total Cost: $2,650