The Alginate Rejects My Finger

The molding and casting project was a pretty fun progress where we got to make finger hooks. I started off mixing the alginate with a 1:4 water ratio- this was sort of challenging because I made the mold too low in the beginning so I tried to fill the container with alginate to get my whole finger in. Then it became hard to mix all the alginate powder at the bottom before it started hardening so I just ended up bending my whole finger in.

After I took my finger out and got my alginate mold, I started mixing the plaster with water in a separate container with a 2:1 ratio. Once I got the right consistency, I poured the mix into my finger mold and stuck a screw at the top. I let the cast sit for a little under an hour and tried to get my fingers out. For the bent finger, I had to tear the side of the mold to get it fully out but I was glad I was able to get the whole finger out without accidentally breaking it.

For post processing, I sanded the fingers a little and spray painted them with 2 layers. It was overall an enjoyable process I would love to do again while actually getting the right alginate mixture.

Cost Estimate

Labor: 2hr @ $15: $30

Alginate: $2

Plaster: $2

Spray Paint: $2

Screws and mixing cup: Negligible

Total Cost~= $36