MC Escher Impossible Triangles

For this 3D printing assignment, I took some inspiration from the MC Escher Exhibit at the MFAH(?). Thanks to Dr. Wettergreen for the suggestion to check it out, I would definitely recommend it!

I originally wanted to print a downsized interlocking circle (meant to be a bracelet) but the interlocking of chain was very very small, and after trying 1 print with this file, I just switched to a different one. This MC Escher triangle is a bit of an optical illusion, from one side it looks like a triangle with straight edges, but turned to the side itis a curvy 3d shape.

Since the printers have been so busy at this time in the semester, I went early in the morning since that’s one of the only times there are printers free! To print these, I rotated the triangles on the bed to be at a little bit of an angle so the curved edges would print okay without the layers coming apart. I used pretty much the default settings on the Prusa and printed a couple copies. They were a little difficult to remove from the supports, so I used a small clippers and were extra careful.

I also printed this on the formlabs resin printer, which provided a super smooth finish and sharp edges.

3d printing can be used for so many things and is a great skill to learn!

Cost Analysis

Labor: 0.5 hr at $15/hr- $7.50

Filament: $0.66

Resin: $0.25

The cost of the printers is not included since we have open access to these in the OEDK.

Total Cost: $8.41