Impossible starfish

The Thingiverse file I used for this project is by StonePestle and the link to access the design is https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5325101

1. Choosing / setting up file

I decided on the interlocking “Flexi starfish” because it’s an impossible object because of its interlocking components and also it looked fun to play with because the whole object is bendable.

I printed the starfish to be 3 inches so that they could fit into the gumball capsule when they are folded up. I decided to print all 5 starfish on the 3d printer at once so the file took about 19 hours to completely print.

2. Raft nightmare 

Once the print was complete, I encountered the problem of removing the starfish from the support raft it printed off of. After trial and error with many different tools to make the removal process easier (and with the least amount of starfish arms lost), my metal fork in my room was the best and quickest. But, if I could print or redo this project, I would not print out the raft as I think the design was sturdy enough on its own due to its size.

3. Conclusion

I’m really happy with how the starfish interacts with the gumball capsule! I got really lucky that they printed to the perfect size to collapse in the capsule and then expand once out. This is definitely one of my new favorite fidget toys.

4. Cost Breakdown

Prusa i3 3D printer = $1000

Green filament = $2.50

Fork = $1.00

Labor cost = 5 hours of labor x $15/hour = $75

Total = $1,073.50