Another Box!

This assignment, we made another box. But this time with the laser cutter! This was a fun assignment and I got to learn a lot about the laser cutters. To start off,  I had to create my file using the box making software. Most of the inputs were pretty straightforward, except for the kerf value. For this I would have to create a kerf tester that would help me get the value of the kerf. I used certain values in the laser cutter that I thought would work with the wood. I used a speed of 20%, power of 100%, and a frequency of 10%. These values ended up being good values to work with in order to vector cut the wood. From there, I cut the kerf tester and came up with a kerf of 0.0045″. Then, I retested the vector cutting by cutting a small block. I also tested the values of the engraving by putting a letter on the square. From this test, I thought the values I had input were good for the wood I had. Then, I wanted to test if the box would fit well with the kerf I had input. After creating the design with the box making software, I put the design in Illustrator and prepped it for cutting. But first, I scaled two of the pieces down in order to test if the fit was good. Once cut, the smaller squares were loose. I wasn’t sure if this was due to the design or the fact that I scaled down the squares. I decided to cut two squares that were the right size and it turns out that the settings and dimensions I had were perfect.

Once I had thought that I had the right design and settings, I decided to cut my final box pieces. To prepare it, I added the text with my name and the information of the class. I didn’t like the default font, so I changed the font to a nicer font. Then, I added my college crest and the academic seal to their own squares. Because Illustrator is still new to me, I had to experiment with the software a fair amount in order to get the design I wanted. Once the design was finally ready, I hit print. Once the laser cutter was done, I put the box together and I was really ecstatic about the fit. The box fit really well and the engraving was able to draw all of the tiny details of the academic seal really well. To finish the box, all I had to do was lightly sand down the box to smooth it down and get rid of some of the charring. I was really proud of how the box came out and I’m glad to have done it to learn more about the laser cutter.

Cost Estimate:

• $12.89 – 3/16 in. x 2 ft. x 4 ft. plywood (The Home Depot)
  • $30 – 3 hours of $10/hr. labor
  • $120 – 1 hour of machine time (LaserCuttingShapes)

Total Cost: $162.89