Kobayashi Fidget Cube

URL: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1790624

Object: Kobayashi Fidget Cube

1. 3D Printing (FDM Prusa PLA) at Original Size

I first printed the object at its original size to understand the functionality and some details of the design. I also printed it at the default setting: 0.25mm layer height, 1mm wall thickness, and 15% infill density. This initial print also helped me learn how to use a 3D printer. I learned to use pliers to remove the supports.

2. 3D Printing (Prusa PLA) at Smaller Size

The original object is 40.5mm x 40.1mm. I measured the gumball containers (estimated: 35mm x 35mm)and shrank the object to a smaller size (75%) on 3D PrinterOS. I also printed the smaller-sized object at 0.15mm layer height after realizing that 0.25mm would not allow the smaller-sized object to move around.

3. Post Processing

The biggest challenge I encountered was the removal of the supports. I chose Raft as the adhesion type for my initial printing. Because most bottom adhesions were attached to the object, it was very difficult to remove. I tried printing with Skirt and Brim but they both ran into the same issue. I realized after that maybe I could have changed the orientation so that there’s the least amount of surface touching the bottom. For this homework, I ended up spending a significant amount of time manually removing the supports using a combination of knife, sanding paper, and pliers. This approach resulted in a rougher surface finish than originally anticipated. Nevertheless, the object was still functioning and I am content with my result.

4. 3D Printing (SLA FormLabs Resin)

I already knew the ideal size of the object, so I went ahead and printed the smaller size on FormLabs. Unfortunately, it came out rock solid with no gaps between each block and was not functional. This was an expected result.

I tried using the 3D Printers in the WetLab, but all of them were unavailable due to a recent flooding incident in the WetLab, and the computer in there was fried. We tried our best to print using our own laptop and SLS Printer (FormsLab Fuse 1) but the chamber was missing, possibly due to the flooding. In addition, none of the lab assistants besides one was trained to use/fix the machine since it was recently made public to OEDK users. Therefore, for this project, I turned in 5 FDM printed cubes and 1 SLA printed cube that is not functional.

Cost:

FDM: $2.06 (103.08g – PLA)

SLA: $0.5

Labour: $10 x 3 hours = $30

Total: $32.56