CNCyoulater at the coffee shop

introduction

I had always wanted to use a CNC machine! This project gave me the opportunity to do that. It was a challenging but worthwhile. I learned of the importance of patience and some neat skills!

process

Setting Up in Carbide Create

After completing a rather extensive (BUT NECESSARY) training, I went to prepare my file on the CNC Machine computer. Beforehand, I had saved the Noun Porject image into an svg file to send to the CNC Machine. I started Carbide Create and inserted my stock dimensions.

CNC In Action

The piece of stock I used came from a hardwood that was larger than the CNC bed. I cut it into a rather large piece that took up most of the bed. This allowed me to do both mugs in one piece of stock (highly recommend) and have more surface area for sticking the double-sided tape on the stock. After setting up the stock sizes correctly and setting the material to hardwood, I set up four tabs on my piece. I think they were helpful but it is probably easier to go for like three. It was a bit of overkill setting up so many tabs and just made it hard to take the pieces out after. Also, more sanding than needed.

Finished CNC Part in Machine

Rough Edged Hammered Out Pieces

I set up the carbide file to have an outline of a coffee mug based on the noun shape and it worked well. I decided to pocket cuts that went to an 1/8″ depth. The two pieces took about 25 minutes to cut with an 1/8″ end mill.

Setting the machine up took a while due to sensor adjusting. I was there when another student was also working so it made figuring out things much easier. The tabs

Vertical Sander Time

turned out to thick, so I had to hammer out the mugs.

Sanded Piece

After using the vertical sander and hand sanding the inside surfaces with a rolled up 220 grit sandpaper the part was ready for spray paint.

I was originally going to use a tan color for coffee vibes but instead opted for this really pretty lilac. I found a glitter spray paint can in the ENGI 120 box. To avoid over glittering, I instead sprayed the glitter onto a paintbrush and lightly flung the glitter at the piece. I then added a clear coat for protection.

Successes and failures

Overall, I think doing two pieces on one stock of wood in one go was the move. It eliminated the issues that could come from changing stock in and out for two pieces. I also think the large piece reduced the stock-lifting-off-and-violently-rotating issues students had when using the CNC machine as the surface area for the tape to touch was significantly larger.

Paintttt

The thin vertical sander also worked great for tough to reach edges. Highly recommend. Also, since the wood was layered, there were some weird small arks of dark color that I had to sand out.

I also intended for the bottom to show the original wood but some paint leaked through the bottom and made it look not so great. I would either sand that bottom again or repaint the bottom.

reflection

Overall, had a great time with this project and enjoyed the outcome. Some more precise sanding would have helped a bit, but it looks awesome! Definitely one of my favorite projects in the class.

costs

Hardwood: $13.44 (1’x1′)

Spray Paint and Clear Coat: ~$5 worth used

Nomad3/Sanders/Hammer: Provided

Time: 4 Hours @ $13/hour = $52

TOTAL: $70.44