hand a pair to Paris

introduction

Prior to this project, I had never even jokingly explored the art of molding. This entire experience was brand new and was a great introduction into a method I had never used before!

process

I was able to do my casts in our one class where we learned, which was an absolute win! Sadly, this means I did not get many pictures of the actual process. However, let’s walk through it.

I started by making the mold. I made an alginate-water mix with a 1:1 weight ratio. After mixing well (and I mean mixing WELL) the homogeneous mixture was ready. I held both fingers in the same cup as it cured. Once the entire mold changed color, I removed my fingers and checked for flaws.

Next, I moved into preparing the Plaster of Paris. I made a plaster-water mix with a 2:1 plaster to water weight ratio. Then, I poured the mix into the now made mold. Two screws were placed into a small cardboard rectangle and were dangled over the mold so that the head of the screws were inserted into the base of the fingers.

I let the plaster dry overnight and removed it from the mold. It looked great!

Cured Plaster Fingers

After that, I chose a pink spray paint for funsies and spray painted two coats within an hour.

Spray Painted Fingers

Lastly, I applied a clear coat and called it a day!

Finished Fingers with Clear Coat

successes and failures

For the most part, this project was actually a success! The only downside was that some air bubbles got into the mold, but not enough to display significantly on the surface of the finger. Or at least not enough that it couldn’t be covered up by spray paint. One of the screw heads was partially showing on one finger, but that can be fixed by aligning better.

costs

Alginate: ~$2.30 (1.5 Ounces)

Plaster of Paris: ~$1 (2 Ounces)

Spray Paint and Clear Coat: ~$2

Two Screws: ~$0.50

Time: 2 Hours @ $13/hour = $26

TOTAL: $31.80