Sydney’s BIOE555 Introduction

Hello!
My name is Sydney, and I am a grad student in the Global Medical Innovation (GMI) program. I got to Houston about 10 days ago, so I have not had time to explore the activities that Rice has to offer. However, I am trying to convince myself to get into running, so I will likely join a running club here on campus.
I have always been a little scared of going into machine shops, but I am still proud of the very first thing I ever made in a shop in 2019: a laser-cut wooden model of Chichen Itza!
I am super excited to do some woodworking this semester. I would love to get to the point of making my own piece of furniture by the end of the year. Along with this, too, I would love to learn how to upholster pieces of furniture!
I hope to learn what fabrication tricks & techniques set basic prototypes apart from their more sophisticated counterparts. All of my Mechanical Engineering friends from undergrad always made fun of me for not knowing my way around a machine shop, too, so I hope to prove them wrong by the end of the semester. I’m excited to get started!