Reece Herman Introduction

I’m a sophomore at Mcmurtry college, and am currently majoring in mechanical engineering with a minor in engineering design. In my spare time I play a lot of videogames, watch movies, and am very into working out and lifting weights. I also am a member of the Rice Escape club as well as the Cloud9 club ultimate team here at Rice.

In the past I designed and 3d printed (with a lot of help) a claw mechanism powered by a lead screw to pick up shapes such as a cone and an inflatable cube for my highschool First robotics team. It was quite challenging as it needed to be light weight, but durable due the year’s competition requiring the objects to be picked up, lifted fairly high, and oriented correctly. Furthermore, the difference in the shapes added another complication. Unfortunately I can’t  find a picture of it as I’m writing this, but will reach out to the team to see if anyone else has any saved.

In the future, I don’t have any particular thing I want to make. I have many diverse interests and tend to find more enjoyment in making things when it is spontaneous or something I am interested in in the  moment. I simply hope to make something that satisfies my desire to create.

During my time in Engi 210, I hope to learn how to use a laser cutter and sewing machine as I have next to no experience with those tools. I imagine that having those skills in my repertoire will greatly diversify my capabilities as an engineer and as a designer/maker.