Ender & Serena’s Crate

1.First POLISH

For the first wood processing, we polished our wood by hand because there was a meeting in OEDK, so the time was longer than we expected.

2.ROUTER PROCESSING

During TA’s office hours, we went to the wood shop to dispose the edge of our wood. It was especially successful and we vacuumed the machine after using it.

3.FIRST STAIN

We decided to make the wood material darker so that the crate would be more good-looking. We went to OEDK at night so that the next day we can have our wood stained.

4.MEASURE for INSTALLATION

We hold the wood pieces to visualize the final product. Then we used a meter stick to locate where we planed to drill and took marks.

5.DRILL and ADJUSTMENT

This process is also successful as we individually made each level of the crate. There is no enough battery so we need to exchange our tools to maximize our working efficiency. Sometimes it is hard to adjust the depth for the second drill, but it won’t affect our product because we can adjust the depth of the nail.

6.SAW DUST + WOOD GLUE FIXATION

There are several wood pieces with scars and fissures, so I decided to fill them with saw dusts. I took a cup to collect the dust from wood shop. To make sure the structure is hard enough, I repeated the procedure of putting glue and putting saw dust for several times.

The severest problem is that nearly after we finished everything, we found one piece of wood was accidentally broken when the wood shop was closed which means we cannot pick another wood to make things up. I used a nail to connect the debris with the main wood and used the same technique of saw dust and wood glue to fill the fissure in between. I also hide the nail by covering it with the dust. However, the impact of this accident can not be ultimately fixed as we got a crispy and uneven wood.

7.FINAL JOINT

Before this process, we found the bottom wood too wide for installation, so Serena spent a lot of time polishing the wood (meanwhile I was fixing the fissures).Then we connected the bottom wood and the pillars. We kept an extra wood between each level to ensure the space in between is even. There was still a problem that the broken wood piece that I fixed had an uneven interval.

As you can see in the picture, the color of the fixed part is different

8.FINAL POLISH

We used 400 sandpaper to polish the surface of our crate. The touching was so fascinating!

9.FINAL STAIN

We used the same stain before to finalize our crate. The parts that were polished off became the same color again including the dust-fixed part.

We Vacuum our table and our aprons before we leave

In our rest time, we fed the squirrels out side OEDK. That was a pretty fun time after hard work time!

ESTIMATED COST
Wood(9 long wood, 6 short wood, 4 pillar) $15
Stain & nails & wood glue: negligible
Machine(saw & drill) ¥10
Labour $15 * 2 * 8 = ¥240
Total $265