Getting Creative: Jo’s First Handmade Apron

Over the past two weeks, I’ve enjoyed the process of designing and sewing my own workshop apron. As a beginner to sewing, I spent a lot of time learning how a sewing machine works and familiarizing myself with its mechanics. After several practice runs, I was ready to put my new skills to the test, leading to some fun, rewarding (and frustrating as well) moments along the way.

Step 1: The Pattern

The first challenge I faced was deciding on the design and pattern for my apron. Knowing how tricky these types of projects can be for me, I wasn’t expecting to master all the technical aspects right away. So, I chose to focus on bringing out my creative side instead. With that in mind, I dove into an online search for unique and eye-catching apron patterns, and that’s when I stumbled upon this one:

Since the design I chose didn’t come with any patterns or measurements, I had to rely on my instincts. My mum, a seasoned sewing enthusiast, always told me that metrics could only take you so far — pins and the final fit were what truly mattered. Taking her advice to heart, I set out to create a “first draft” of my apron, piecing it together entirely with pleats and pins. Once I had something I felt comfortable wearing, I carefully removed it, noted down its measurements, and began the sewing process.

Step 2: The Fabric and the Process

One of the hardest parts of making my apron was choosing the fabrics. It was during that decision-making process that I realized I wanted the apron to embody a “scrap fabric” aesthetic — a nod to recycled clothing and the idea of turning something old into something new. That’s why I chose the fabric combinations I did and decided to keep many of the threads visible. My aesthetic choices were meant to emphasize the apron’s functionality as a working garment rather than focusing on making it overly neat or tidy.

However, being a bit obsessive, I made sure that every stitch was strong. All across the apron, you’ll find box stitch reinforcements. As was mentioned in class, these stitches are incredibly useful, though they were tricky to master. Still, the more I progressed, the more I enjoyed the process. I pleated the edges to give it a more finished look, and even added a small badge with my initials—partly as decoration, partly as a personal touch to make it uniquely mine. Finally, after more than 12 hours of effort, I accepted the apron in its final form, quirks and all.

Step 3: Cleaning Up

Since I had to visit the OEDK multiple times to complete this project, cleaning up became an integral part of the process. Out of courtesy and respect for my classmates, every time I used a machine or workstation, I made sure to leave it as good as I found it—or better if possible. While this added extra time to the project, I believe it was absolutely worth it. If my peers hadn’t adopted the same respectful approach, the whole experience would have been much more challenging. That attitude of mutual respect made a big difference and was deeply appreciated. After about two weeks of work, I cleaned up for the final time and left my labeled apron on the BIOE 555 table, ready for submission.

Final Step: Reflection

Overall, this project was a really fun and rewarding experience. At first, I was nervous since I had never used a sewing machine before. But with enough practice, I was able to put my skills to the test and improve throughout the making of the project. One area I’d like to improve on is straightening and cleaning up my stitch lines, especially the box stitches. I’d also love to find ways to optimize my workflow to be both faster and more precise. Learning new techniques to add intricate details would be a great next step.

Despite the challenges, I truly enjoyed this experience. It taught me a lot about patience and precision, and gave me a new appreciation for the art of sewing.

But wait… Is it worth the cost?

Cost Breakdown for the Production of an Apron by a  Beginner Sewing Machine User:

Comparison with other Alternatives:

In conclusion, sewing your own apron costs more than buying a basic apron online but can be similar to or slightly less than getting a custom-made one. However, the value of this project goes beyond the final product—it’s like the old saying: “Buy a man a fish, and he’ll eat for a day; teach him to fish, and he’ll be fed for a lifetime.” In this case, and anytime one learns something new, learning how to sew not only gave me an apron but also equipped me with a valuable skill I can use again and again. The experience of creating something with my own hands is an investment that will continue to pay off in future projects, with no doubts.