Giorgia’s first time dealing with a sew machine!!

Hi everyone! 🙂 

This is my blog for the apron homework. It was my very first time using a sewing machine and I can say that it was quite challenging at first because I would keep losing one of my two threads, if not both. But with time and practice I was able to work through it and got my final result, which I personally think turned out better than what I expected at first! 

OVERALL PROCESS: 

I took the plain black fabric that was provided to us and folded it in half and started to lay out my silhouette with a piece of chalk. After making sure I measure everything as described in the instructions I proceeded to cut with fabric scissors.

I then folded and started to sew the borders of the main apron body. Thispart was particularly challenging to me because it was such a small area I had to work with and many times I would not be able to properly control the path of the machine needle. After doing this step, I can confidently say that I got the hang of it and I started to think about adding two medium-sized pockets. I created the pockets and I sewed them from the inside out and then turned them back on the right side out so they would look better aesthetically. I then attached both pockets to the lower right and left side of my apron. Later on, I added the two straps to tie them on the back, one non-adjustable and custom-sized tie for the neck and adjustable straps on the lower back. Additionally, I also took 4 separate fabric squares (light blue and purple) and folded and sewed them at the top of my apron so it looked more colorful.

After doing all this, I thought I was done but I then had the idea to add my initials to the apron. I first added huge initials but it turned out to be too ugly in my opinion, so I just took them out and re-designed them by folding the fabric in half so that the letters would be thinner and more “delicate”. I sewed the letters by adding little segments of this folded fabric together (this was extremely hard for me), and then added both the G and Z to the bottom right side of my apron, as I thought it would look better than in the top. 

FINAL RESULT:

OVERALL COSTS: 

After conducting the cost analysis model I can say that the cost of my apron would be of approximately $149, based on raw materials, labor, and machine time. 

Cost Type Cost Price Source Quantity Total
Fabric Fabric $7.27/yd bigduckcanvas.com 3 yds $21.81
Fabric Pockets $7.27/yd bigduckcanvas.com 1 yd $7.27
Thread 0.133 cents/yd amazon.com (Tortoise Thread) 4 spools with each one 3000 yards,total 12000 yards $15.99

(Would only use 1 spool:

= $3.99)

Strap material $3.99 Amazon.com 1 yard $3.99
Labor Sewing Operator $14/hour ZipRecruiter.com (Texas general seamstress hourly salary) 4 hours $56
Prototyping Engineer (You!) $12/hour N/A 1 hour $12
Overhead Facility Cost (Machine Time) $2/hour Reddit.com 4 $8
Quality Control $5/hour Reddit.com 4 $20
Design Engineering and Development $4/hour Reddit.com 4 $16
GRAND TOTAL  $149.06