Laser cutting- Lulu’s box

The process

During the laser cutting training I learnt that in order to laser cut a precise box, we need accurate measurements. So, I started from this point to obtain my values and to proceed with the task.

Firstly, I cut a small box in order to adjust the Vector and Engrave values (speed, power and frequency), based on the thickness of my wood table. After I was sure that those measurements were set in a right way, I proceed with cutting the kerf box.

Vector:

• Power: 100%
  • Speed: 12%
  • Frequency: 10%

Engrave:

• 600 dpi
  • Power: 100%
  • Frequency: 10%

Secondly, I measured the dead space created from the laser cut with the digital caliper (0.165 in) and I calculated my kerf value (0.0165 in).

At this point, I used Makercase to create the drawings for my 4.83 x 4.83 x 4.83 in box, including the kerf value.

I then used Adobe Illustrator to format them further, adding text, Rice owl draw, GSA text and the initial letter of my name.

Some of the pieces

My first idea was to include my college crest but suddenly it didn’t come out as expected (the result obtained was a black circle). At that point, since all the pieces of box were cut and everything else was engraved, I thought to add my initial letter changing the engraving values (in this way the L was darker than the circle and the result came out nicely).

At this point, I started pressing fit the box but it was slightly hard. So, I used sand paper 220 to adjust some of the sides of my pieces and I pressed-fit together the box.

After I finished working on my task, I cleaned all the spaces I used.

Cost estimate

Materials: plywood and sand paper

• 1/4″ x 2′ x 4′ plywood: $14.95 (Home depot)
  • 1 pc 200 grit sand paper $1.30 ca

Labor:

• Woodworking prototyping engineer: 25$/h (3h ca) Indeed.com – 75$

Overhead:

• Estimated facility cost: (15$/h) 45$
  • Waste and scrap: 7$

Total cost: 143.25$