Allen’s Laser Cut Cube

PART I: Introduction

In 2017, I had a chance to learn how to use a laser-cut machine to produce some stuff for celebrating the 60th anniversary of my elementary school. As the youngest staff, I was assigned to this task. However, since my school did not have any experience with laser cutting, building up a new system was too expensive. Therefore, I did not have a chance to do it after the training.

I am glad to have the chance to catch up on this skill in the class. Also, I am able to practice after Madison’s training. Below is the name plate I made during the training.

PART II: Steps

After training, I felt more comfortable processing the laser cutter independently. I appreciated that the staff in the OEDK are kindly helping me to fix some tiny issues.

• First of all, before we started to laser cut, I measured the kerf in order to make sure my cube could join tightly without using glue.

.
  • Second, I used the kerf I measured and combined “en.makercase.com,” a website, to design my 4x4x4 inch cube. After that, I did some design on each side.

.
  • Last, I joined all the pieces together to make a cube.
            .
  • In the end, I checked the machine, which was completely off and did not have any debris on the laser-cut bed.

PART III

• Issue 1: Vector condition adjustment
    For some reason, my wood sheet is harder than Joy’s one. So, I could not use the parameter Joy and I tested on his wood sheet. As seen in the picture below, my Kurf Box did not cut out when I used the original parameter. After testing, I found the perfect parameter specific to my wood sheet.

.
    Here is the final parameter I used for this assignment.
    Vector                                     Engrave

• Issue 2: The “linked file” caused an error when sending the file to the laser cutter
    When I tried to print my design, I found that the “.AI” file could not be sent to the laser cutter. One of the staff of OEDK provided a way for me to fix the issue quickly. Steps: Select the objective > click menu bar: objective > click Rasterize > Color mode: bitmap > OK.However, by doing so, the picture’s resolution will be decreased. So, the best way is to remove the links of pictures before using them.

PART IV: Cost Estimation

Cost Type Cost Price Source Quantity Total
Materials 6″ X 12″ Solid Wood Sheets $7.50 3duniverse 1 $7.50
Labor Laser Cutting Operator $20.00 Indeed 3 $60.00
Prototyping Engineer $34.00 Indeed 1 $34.00
Overhead Facility Cost (Machine Time) $100.00 Salasers 3 $300.00
Quality Control $21.01 Indeed 1 $21.01
Design Engineering and Development $66.22 ZipRecruiter 0 $66.22

Total: 488.73