Laser Cutting: A Box That Reflects My Persona

This past week, I got to dive into laser cutting and the result was both a technical learning experience and a creative one. The task was simple on paper—cut and assemble a box—but I wanted to make something that felt personal, with each side representing a different part of who I am.

The Process

I used the standard design for a laser-cut box and tweaked it with a 0.007-inch kerf—yes, I measured that myself, and it took several attempts to nail it down! The provided wood sheet was 1/4-inch thick, and I personalized the box with various symbols that represent key facets of my life. For example, one face displays my name alongside the course this project is for, while its opposite bears an icon related to bioengineering, which is what I have been studying for the last 5 years. Another pair of faces highlights my passions: a gym logo on one side (because I love working out) and a music icon on the opposite, representing my love for music. To cap it off, I added both the Rice University shield and the GSA shield, which connect me to the community I’m beginning to be a part of.

This design allowed me to create something that wasn’t just functional but also meaningful—a box that, in a way, contains parts of my personality.

The Challenge

While designing the file for laser cutting didn’t take long, getting the actual wood to cooperate with the laser cutter was another story. For two days in a row, I went to the OEDK, and no matter what I tried, I couldn’t find the right settings to cut through the wood. Frustration was definitely creeping in. The recommended settings were 18 speed, 100 power, and 10 frequency, but the wood wouldn’t cut all the way through. I adjusted the settings multiple times and even retried the suggested ones, but no luck.

On the third day, though, things changed. I used the recommended settings again, and this time, though the pieces didn’t come out perfectly clean, I was able to push them out of the wood sheet after a few taps. The edges were a little rough, so I tried a lower speed of 12. Finally, success! The pieces came out with smoother, cleaner edges, and the icons on the box’s surface were more defined, with higher contrast. I decided to keep this second version as the final product, not only because of its improved aesthetic but because it symbolized persistence paying off. The following pictures illustrate the differences between both boxes. Fun question: which one do you think I handed in?

The Final Product

The end result (the box on the left in the images above) is more than just a box—it’s a reflection of who I am, a project that incorporates the things I care about in life. From bioengineering to fitness and music, and my identity as a Rice graduate student, this laser-cut box turned into a fun way to showcase the different aspects of myself. The journey to get there, though bumpy, made the final piece even more rewarding. I’m glad I stuck with it and found the settings that worked. The sense of satisfaction from not just designing but finally cutting the wood exactly how I wanted feels great! Now, I get to hand in the best version of the assignment, while keeping the kind of “faulty” one for myself, as it can be seen in the following image:

Cost Analysis

Cost Type Cost Price Source Quantity Total
Materials ¼’’ wood sheet $898 (2ft x 2ft)  Lowe’s 4’’ x 4’’ $0.25
Labor Woodworking Operator  $1926/hr ZipRecruiter Novice Operator

1.5hrs

3 iterations

$86.67
Experienced Operator

0.75hrs

1 iteration

$14.445
Machine Time (includes corresponding Overhead Costs) Laser Cutter  $1273/hr Alpha Lazer Novice Operator

1.5hrs

3 iterations

$57.285
Experienced Operator

0.75hrs

1 iteration

$95.475
Waste and Scraps ¼’’ wood sheet $898 (2ft x 2ft)  Lowe’s 1’’ x 1’’ $0.0625
Total Cost – Inexperienced Operator (myself) $144.2675
Total Cost – Experienced Operator $24.305

The major takeaway here is the drastic difference between the costs associated with an inexperienced operator (like myself) and an experienced one. I took between 4.5 to 6 hours, including iterations and adjustments, which resulted in a total cost of approximately $145. In contrast, an experienced operator could easily complete the task in just 45 minutes, reducing the total cost to around $25.

This nearly sixfold difference highlights the critical role experience plays: In medical device manufacturing, having experienced operators and professionals that can reduce the time spent on production not only cuts costs but can also mean the difference between life and death for some patients. A faster, more efficient production process allows for quicker – and this cheaper – access to life-saving devices, emphasizing the importance of having skilled professionals on the job.

In this case, I chose to use this cost analysis to show how in any industry, but particularly in high-stakes fields like the medical field, the right expertise can significantly reduce both costs and time, ultimately leading to better results.