Sharp Water: Using the Water Jet to Cut Steel

This week, we were tasked with creating two of our own “diamonds” using the water jet cutter in the OEDK’s Wet Lab. This is a powerful and effective tool for cutting sheets of metal, and like the laser cutter, it uses vector files to generate tool paths and cut out shapes from the metal.

The first step in this process was creating the vector file in Adobe Illustrator. As the Formula 1 season is in its last few weeks, I thought I’d show my support for my favorite team by cutting out the McLaren logo. I found a vector image online and added it to the standardized diamond shape.

The McLaren “swoosh” in Adobe Illustrator, atop the provided diamond shape.

Then, I imported my vector file into the water jet software and completed the two cuts. It was remarkably similar to using the laser cutter, but this time I was cutting my shapes out of a thin sheet of steel! Once the parts came out of the machine, there were some very sharp edges, so my work wasn’t over, yet.

To improve the feel of the parts, I used a file on the external edges to remove the sharp bottom edges and make it smooth to the touch. Then, I used some medium-grit sandpaper to make the edges even smoother and to reach the internal edges around the logo. This took some time, but it helped the pieces feel like they weren’t a safety hazard (at the very least).

The pieces after the edges have been filed and sanded.

Then, I took the pieces into the woodshop to sand-blast them. This process blasts the parts with bits of sand, so it creates a slightly rough but uniform surface texture that is good for painting. I liked the metallic color and finish, so I chose a glossy clear-coat. The final pieces are shown below in all their glory.

The final pieces, after sandblasting and a clear coat.

A lovely close-up shows the texture and finish on the pieces.

Cost Analysis

Labor2 hours at $10/hr: $20

Lab Assistant Aid: 25 minutes at $11/hr: $4.58

Steel: ~25 square inches at $0.025/square inch: $0.63

Sand, Water, and Clear Coat: <$3.00

Overall, the cost of these two pieces was roughly $28.21.