Connor’s Apron

This project was my first ever sewing project, and it was a great learning experience, despite its sometimes frustrating challenges. When starting this project, I was a little worried about the learning curve, but overall excited to learn the process!

Process(Beginner):

I  began by sketching out the dimensions of the apron, and trying to get a feel for the size of the apron, then using a measuring tape to transfer the design to the butcher paper. I began with the designated Large size, as that is what I wear with normal clothes.

After transferring to the butcher paper, I test fitted the size and decided that the top was too wide and that the waist seemed too wide, so I reduced both dimensions a little, as in the picture above.

After getting the size to what I decided was good, I started to get my apron material prepared. Admittedly, I started fairly late, so the material was already cut up and somewhat limited, but I found a roll of nice navy blue material that was left. With this, laid my paper form over the cloth, pinned the paper down and cut roughly 1/2 in tare around the paper.

Next, I began to sew. This was the fun part. I started on the grey industrial machine. I wanted to hem the edges so that the apron would have a more finished look, and so that I could have more experience with the machine, so I started there. First, I started with a test piece:

Then, I began on the edges. The grey industrial machine worked very well for the first edge stitch, but after that, kept having problems until the bobbin ran out. After this, I could not seem to get the bobbin threaded, and the lab assistant on duty had little experience with the machine, so I moved to the white machine, which was easier to rethread as shown in the videos. This machine though, continually had problems when I tried to go too fast, so I went very slow, and finished the edge stitches.

For the tie straps and neck strap, I used the scrap that was left over from my apron. They were a little wide, so I folded them over and stitched along the edge to keep them together and give the straps a little more meat, and make them easier to handle.

Then came time to do the box stitches. At this point, I was feeling very comfortable with the machine. I may have also been a little overconfident, as the first box stitch was pretty bad, as shown below,

The next box stitch was a little better though:

And then, I was done. Given another chance to do this project again, I think I could produce another much better project, given my new experience with the process. I would likely plan out my stitches better and take more time planning out the overall apron.

Costs:

1. Raw materials:  Total = $7.08
    1. Fabric: ~$7.00 per yard * 1 yard = $7.00
    2. Thread: ~$3.00 per 400 yard * ~10 yards = $0.08
      1. Very rough estimate…
  2. Labor:
    1. ~4 hours @ $15.00 per hour = $60.00
  3. Machine costs:
    1. ~4 hours @ $10.00 per hour = $40.00

Total cost: ~$107.08 / $67.08 if you own machines.