Finger Time

Intro

This week we were tasked with creating a mold and cast of our fingers. This assignment was the most enjoyable one this semester as it was the least technical and felt more like arts and crafts. With that being said we still had to make two identical molds of our fingers and post product finish them.

How I Did It

The process began with the gathering of materials. We used alginate, plaster, cups, water, a scale, and 2 screws.

I began by making the alginate mixture using a one-to-one ratio with warm water. I stirred this until the mixture became fairly smooth. I stuck two of my fingers into the mixture and let it dry for approximately 10 minutes. I removed my fingers and my mold was now complete. This left me with “two” molds of my finger.

Next, I created my plaster mixture. After using a two-to-one ratio of plaster of paris to water, my plaster was ready to use. I then poured my plaster into both finger molds. Next, I placed the head of a screw into both molds and set them in place with a piece of tape. I then let my molds sit overnight.

Post-Processing

The post-processing for this assignment was very simple. Since I did not want to get rid of the fingerprints from my mold, I did not do any sanding on the face of the finger. Instead, I just used spray paint and a clear gloss finish.

What I Would Have Done Different

There are a few things that I would have done differently. The first is not letting my plaster sit in the mold for the amount of time that I did. Because of this, I think a lot of the water dried up and left me with a finger that could have looked better. Next, I would have been more careful in placing the screws into my plaster. I accidentally dropped two screws into one of my fingers and it was impossible to get them out. Because of this, there are some small irregularities in the shape of one of the fingers.

Cost Estimate

Time = $2o/hr X 2 hrs = $40

Plaster of Paris= $7

Alginate=$7

2 Srews= $0.20

Spray Paint = $3.00

Clear Coat= $3.00

Total = $60.20

This has been the cheapest product we’ve made this semester since all the materials we used were extremely cheap.