CNC Snoopy <3

For this homework, I used Shakeoko to CNC Snoopy with a heart.

1. Vector Image Preparation

I found an image of Snoopy online but since it wasn’t a vector file, I used Illustrator’s Image Trace tool to make one. This process was a little bit difficult and took a couple of iterations of drawing extra lines and thickening the outlines to finally get the vector file I wanted. I also removed Woodstock as it was too small to CNC with the 1/8 bit that I was going to use for this homework; I noticed this after I looked at the simulation on Carbide Create. Another modification I made later on was making an outline for the entire thing for aesthetics; I made this modification after I CNC the first Snoopy without it (top right image). I also wanted the outline for the heart so in the future I can pour resin with dry flowers in it.

2. CNC + Sanding

I used two different pocket depths for my Snoopy. I used 0.13 inch for the heart so I can pour the resin with dry flowers in the future, and 0.05 inch for the other pockets to create depths for aesthetics.

I first used the purple foam to test the cut (top left). I then started CNCing on the wood piece but I quickly realized that because it cut the outside first, the piece started moving as it CNC the pockets (top right). I immediately stopped the machine, learned that you can change the order of the cut on Carbide Create from my classmate, and tried again. I used sandpaper to remove tiny woods that were sticking out.

It took a while for me to learn how to use the CNC machine smoothly as it involved many steps and I had to translate the process from Nomad (where I originally learned how to CNC) to Shapeoko. Nevertheless, as I CNC-ed many pieces, including the Snoopy without outlines, the Snoopy on purple foam, the failed Snoopy, and the two successful Snoopys, I feel confident using the CNC machine now.

3. Spraypaint

The vinyl cutter was unfortunately not working well, so I used the blue painter’s tape to cover up parts and spray painted my Snoopy and the heart. The blue painter’s tape did not do the best job covering the parts tightly, and I am also very bad at controlling how much to spray, so you can see some paint leaking into the unwanted parts. Regardless, I am happy with the pieces I made and am amazed by what CNC machines can do.

Cost:

Wood: $8.87 * 1/5 = $1.774

Spray Paint: $6.19*1/20 = $0.3

Blue Tape:$25.99 *1/10*1/20 =$0.13

Labor: $10 * 8 hours = $80

Total: $82.204

It took a bit of trial and error, and improving the design. I am planning on using resin and dry flowers in the heart for a more aesthetic finish!