Good Morning, Good Evening, or Good Afternoon!

Hello everyone! My name is Gabby Lea (they/them). I was born in Malaysia, and I moved to Texas when I was very young. I spent most of my life living around Tyler, a “city” in East Texas. I have a cat who I love very much.

My lovely cat, Tripper

I graduated with my BS in Biomedical Engineering at the University of Houston (go coogs!), and after a nice summer vacation, I’m now pursuing my MBE here at Rice. I’m a part of the Applied Bioengineering track and I’m going down the research route.

A photo of my trip to a botanical garden this summer!

One thing I’ve made that I’m particularly proud of (outside of any undergrad research or class projects) is actually the decorations for my graduation cap! The design is based on a popular Korean web novel series that I’m a big fan of, and I also included the UH school colors. I’ve always loved arts and crafts, so I’m excited to use some of my creativity during this course.

My graduation cap based on the web novel “Omniscient Reader’s Viewpoint”

This semester, I’d like to make something that I can use as home decor, and  subsequently as a conversation starter. Because I’ve had a lot of previous experience with microfabrication, and will likely continue to utilize different fabrication techniques in my research, I’d like this semester to be a bit more fun and creative, while also learning important fundamental skills that I can apply to future device prototyping.

One thing I’m really excited to learn in this course is CNC machining. I have a few friends who were mechanical engineering majors and they would always throw out this term, saying how badly they wished UH had CNC machining capabilities. While I don’t really know what it is and how it’s used, I do love bragging to my friends.

I hope we all have a great semester together!