Ender’s Apron

1.MEASURE and CUT

I used a huge paper as the model size of my apron, taping the edge of the paper and my black fabric and sketching the
outline of my apron. The greatest issue in this step came when I tried to cut the fabric on a straight line. Just after I finished the eye-killing cutting, I realized that I don’t need to make the edge so straight because I still need to stitch the edge which is the next step.

2.STITCH the edge

I first used tape to hold the folded edge so that I can sew steadily. However, as I teared the tape off, I found some threads were teared off at the same time. Thus, I used pins to fix my fabric. It was hard for me to keep the sewing in a complete straight line, but as I tried several times, I finished this process. The greatest problem here was that I depleted the threads on the bobbin, so I need to make supplement more than once.

3.DECORATION

I cut an “L” shaped fabric with extra space on its edge to ensure there is no rags as I stitch it on my apron. I found it hard to directly connect the decoration to the main black fabric, so I stitch it on another blue fabric so that I have enough space for operation and, at the same time, make the decoration more pleasing. I made a mistake that I didn’t completely unfold my apron, hence my decoration became a little bit tilt. Fortunately, it didn’t impact the whole view of my apron.

I also stitched two straps on both sides of the shoulder to avoid the unpleasant look of the threads that is messed when I turned direction of the fabric for sewing. However, the material I chose was not so satisfying that I tried several times to keep the needle going to the correct direction. The thickness of the material also casted a problem for the operation.

4.MAKE the STRAP

For the neck strap, I cut down two piece of the green tie and stitched them together back to back. This process was especially smooth and successful.
When I was dealing with the side tie straps, I met the greatest issue. For several times, the threads from the bobbin mixed up. The sewing stopped as the threads accumulated at the same place. I need to cut off all the mixed threads and reinstall the bobbin. Still, till the end, the two straps did not look well because the fabric threads were falling even if I fold the edge and stitched for four times.

5.SEW BOXES for connection

The boxes were the smoothest process such that I made practice boxes before the formal operation.

Every time I leave, I threw away all the wasted threads and put the scissors and pins back to the right place.

COST ESTIMATION

fabric $20
thread $2
machine $15 * 5 = $75
labour $10 * 8 = $80
total: $179