Finished Ward Key and Lock

In order to create a working ward and key lock, I faced many challenges. The first was the difficulty I experienced with editing my file in Adobe Illustrator. Because of the anchor point and grouping features, editing an already created object proved more difficult than I wanted. When I used AutoCAD as a substitute, it had its own issues as well. The program does not preserves its dimensions in physical units and instead uses some arbitrary one. In order to circumvent these issues, I had to import DWG files into Illustrator and export those files as PDF’s.

A second issue that I encountered has I overestimated the efficacy of the original design. Upon closer inspection of the design, I discover that the creator intended the project to be done using hand tools in a trial and error fashion to perfect the fittings. To correct for this, I had to design the backplate of the lock from scratch and several parts needed to be adapted to shapes and sizes of available parts in the ODEK.

One of these parts, in particular, was the key. The creator intended the key to being fashioned from a single piece of wood where the bow extended into a round stem and a round bit. Instead of doing this, I modified the design so that I would only print the bow and then I drilled pressed 3/16 holes to where the shaft and bit would be. Finally, I added a round dowel with glue for the shaft and a screw with nuts as the bit. This design is surprisingly sturdy.

20160314_163309[1]

My partner and I also both chose to use stain for finishing. We found that the stain complements has a really nice rustic look and complements the burned edges well. Also, the stain mixes with the charred dust that covered with the wood to make those imperfections unnoticeable.

We also designed bases with the name of the project engraved on it. We thought that this feature would make the project easier for viewers to use and adjust expectations.

Finally, in terms of final touches, I sanded edges and added tallow to all moving parts in order lubricate the parts and improve the experience of operation the machine. Attached below is a picture of the finished lock body.

20160314_163305[1]