Impossible….. Cat Toy?

This week, we had to create an “impossible object” using a 3D printer. An impossible object as defined by this assignment is something that can only be made from a 3D printer, and not from other manufacturing techniques. This can mean that it is too complex, has intricate geometries, would normally have to be produced in multiple pieces, or other various criteria. We were to select an object like this from a website like Thingiverse or grabCAD and then 3D print it using the appropriate machine.

When selecting an object to print, I wanted to find one that did not take too long to print, since the printers are at a high demand with the design showcase coming up. I went through a few searches on Thingiverse without anything that really popped out, but when I searched toy I found some pretty cool things. I ended up deciding to print out a little cat toy. It is a slotted spherical object with a small ball inside that moves around freely. This object is impossible in that, with traditional manufacturing techniques, it would have to be printed in multiple parts:

Thingiverse File Preview

To print this device, I used a traditional FDM printer, the ___. It heats and extrudes filament on a heated bed, and prints support material from the same filament. We had a few technical difficulties with the printer because the filament was curled around itself, but once we fixed it the print ran smoothly on the first try. I had to remove a lot of support material and then break the small ball free, and I am really happy with how it turned out.

Final Print

I really enjoyed this lab. It brought me back to a lot of what I worked on in ENGI 120. I also thought it was interesting to learn about all the different types of 3D printing during class time. I’m interested in seeing how 3D printing develops in the next several years, and how it may influence my future career. Since I am looking into doing something with design, I think it will probably affect my future a lot.