Emily’s Intro + Reasons for Taking ENGI 210

Hi! My name is Emily. I am a sophomore at Brown and am planning on majoring in Bioengineering. At Rice I am involved with research at Dr. Veiseh’s lab at the BRC focused on islet cell encapsulation as a therapy for type one diabetics. Last year I was also a part of the Campanile Orchestra playing violin, but sadly we will not be able to meet this year due to COVID-19. I am also involved with the Student Admission Council and hosted a few students overnight last year.

A breadboard for one of our prototypes!

Team Busyboard!

One thing I have created that I am proud of is my ENGI 120 project. I did not have any exposure to designing or engineering in high school, so my first semester at Rice was the first time I was able to explore that. My team (Team Busyboard) created a therapy tool for males with traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries to assist with motor and cognitive rehabilitation. Our final device was in no way perfect, but the process of creating a project on a team and achieving a final product was very exciting and really steered me towards the field of engineering, as I initially came into Rice as a biochemistry major.

One thing I really hope to create is a 3D-printed object. I have seen people create some really cool projects using 3D printers but I have never been able to use one myself, even though they are becoming increasing more common. I don’t have a specific project in mind yet, but I am definitely excited to get to that unit in the class!

One thing I hope to learn in ENGI 210 is how to combine the different techniques we learn in this class to create different projects, and also what techniques are best for different parts of a project. The midterm project seems like a really cool way to combine different techniques.

PS If you were wondering the featured picture is my bernedoodle Zorro!