Carvey Time

I wasn’t sure what to carve so I asked my quarantine buddies what they wanted and they were completely uninterested for some reason.

I’m terrible at making up my mind so take a peek at a few of my iterations.

I was really committed to the Buena Vista Social Club plaque, because I wanted to hang it up on my wall. It ended up being to long of a carve. Additionally, the 1/16″ bit is tapered. Look out for that, it will not be able to cut all the way through a thick piece of wood like the larger bits can. It will have to be another project for another day.

I settled for a noun project icon (was I actively avoiding the noun project?). Albeit the noun project is a very convenient source of SVG. This is the Naira.

This is a 4″ piece and all together these two pieces took 30(ish) minutes to carve. Luckily Charlie warned me to uncheck the tabs box for when you attempt to cut all the way through on Easel. Another pro tip from Charlie, you want to put another thin piece of wood underneath your slab to protect the bottom surface of Carvey.

Unfortunately, Carvey took a couple of bites out of my pieces at the very end when cutting the pieces out.

As you may be able to tell by now, I am a fan of the vinyl cutter. Even when the vinyl cutter has proven to not be a fan of mine. I used the same SVG file to cut out the stickers in green and white.

Costs:

Labor: 5 hours * $10/hr = $50

Plywood: 0.3″x6″x6″  = $0.145

CNC Mill Time: 1 hour * $30/hr = $30

Vinyl: 4″x2″ x2 = ($0.57 for 12″x12″) = $0.03

Total Cost: $80.18