Haley’s Apron Project

The Process

Over the past week and a half, I have been working with Allison to assemble and sew my workshop apron. Overall, it has been a really rewarding experience with a fun product!

The first step was to select fabric. I chose a black and white checkerboard print for the main pattern, and selected green for the pockets. We cut a yard of cloth for the main part of the apron using the rotary cutter and a straight edge. I then took my own measurements and drew out my plan on grid paper before then transferring it to large brown paper as a pattern. All dimensions for the apron needed to have 1″ added to each edge to account for a double-folded 1/2″ seam. I then used this pattern and the rotary cutter to cut my fabric into its shape.

I then measured out where the folds of the seams would be using chalk and a ruler, and then later pinned the seams in place to prepare for sewing. Using the sewing machine, I next sewed the seems of the apron using black thread. A common frustration during this process was that the thread kept unthreading from the needle and I had to repeatedly rethread it. Also, many of my lines were not straight as I was trying to get used to the machine. If I were to do it again, I would have used one continuous stitch to complete the seam, but mine was intermittent for the majority of the apron.

The next step was to make the pockets. Using scraps of green fabric, I cut 2 pieces of fabric that were a little over double the size that I wanted so that they could be folded in half for sewing. To form the pockets, I folded my fabric in half and sewed a 1/2″ seam, allowing for a small joint so that I could later flip it inside out. In order to maintain a desirable shape, I pulled each corner out one by one. I then pinned these to the apron 6 checkerboard blocks from the bottom of the apron and sewed them on. Using this pattern made a lot of my measuring and placing much easier.

Finally, it was time to add straps. For the neck strap, Allison and I 3D printed a plastic slip lock so that it could be adjustable going over the head. In order to incorporate this into the strap, I took a short section of strap material, folded it in half, and then secured the slip lock in the loop with two stitches. I then completed my first box stitch ever to secure it to the apron. In order to complete the neck strap, I measured how much extra length I wanted to make strap adjustments possible. I then folded over one end twice and secure it with a stitch so that it would not come apart with use. I then box stitched the other end to the other side of the chest of the apron and looped the free end through the slip lock. For the waist straps, they were assembled and prepped similar to the long neck strap, but were much longer lengths so that I could wrap them around my waist and tie them in the front.

And voila! Now I have a new work apron with two pockets — one that perfectly fits my phone and one that can hold various tools/things — and an adjustable neck strap.

Reflection

Things that I would like to improve upon in the future:

• Straightening and cleaning up my box stitches
  • Straightening my seams
  • Place my pins facing away from me when in the sewing machine so they are easier to take out while sewing
  • Overall put more time into planning in which orientation I would like to sew my piece
  • Add more decorative stitches

Overall, this was an excellent experience I feel more comfortable approaching a sewing machine and will certainly be using these new skills to mend some of my own clothing.

Cost estimate

• Materials
    • 1 yd plaid: $6.99
    • 1/6 yd green: $1
    • 4 yd thread (taking into account scrap): $0.07
  • Time
    • 6 hrs at $15/hr: $90
  • Overhead
    • Estimate: $20

Total: $118.06

With more practice, the quality will improve and the cost to make this will go down as it will take less time.