Brian B. Bishara’s Bombastic Blog :)

HI! I am Brian, and I am a sophomore from Damascus, Syria. I am majoring in bioengineering on the pre-med track, and I am minoring in engineering design.

I am a proud Lovetteer (EOL RRF!) as I currently hold two positions in the Lovett student body: secretary and parliamentarian. I am also a part of the Middle Eastern Student Association. Other than that, I am an Arabic consultant and an academic fellow for physics.

I am proud of getting a thermal camera to work. It was a part of my ENGI 120 project that involved capturing the evolution of heat in a dynamic system involving electricity and fluids. I was told that the thermal camera is very sensitive and cannot be set up. However, I continually refined my soldering skills, something that I had never done before coming to Rice, until I was able to connect the camera to the circuit. It ultimately worked, and I was able to exceed everyone’s expectations.

I really want to explore working with light and reflective mirrors. I am thinking about laser cutting mirrors (which I have heard is possible) and putting them together with a colorful laser to create a piece of furniture that I can intrinsically value (and that would also look very cool). I could also apply this to optics as a bioengineer.

I hope I will get to learn how to laser cut materials like mirrors. Otherwise, I am very excited about 3D printing and laser cutting in general, as those are hard skills that I can find myself using everyday. If not working on a project, I can create some basic yet unique stuff like birthday gifts using these skills.

brianbishara