Project 2: Creating a Crate

These are the steps that I took to complete my second ENGI 210 Project: Build a Box

Step 1: Cutting the wood

Since my partner Kate and I were out for the week the crate project was started, we were given precut planks.  The planks we used included:

• 9x 14.5” long pieces of 1×4 lumber
  • 6x 12” long pieces of 1×4 lumber 
  • 4x 10-11” long pieces of 2×2 lumber

Step 2: Assembling the sides 

We first started by taking the 14.5” and 12” planks and assembling 3 four-sided frames that will serve as the sides of the box. This was done by securing the planks at a right angle with corner clamps and using 1/8” drill bit to create two pilot holes at each joint. A 5/8 ” drill bit was used to create countersinks. We used grey wood screws provided by the ENGI 210 class. 

Corner clamps used to secure the joints of the frame

Drill bits and screwdriver head used to secure joints

Position of screws at plank joints

Completed frames

Step 3: Routing edges

Next, we took our 3 frames and smoothed out the edges using a router table. We had difficulty operating the routing table, and our edges came out slightly uneven. We also mistakenly placed the wood screws too close to the edges, causing the screws to get in the way of the router bit. Because of this, Kate and I decided to smooth out the uneven edges manually after routing the majority of the sides as best we can.

Kate using the routing table

Step 4: Assembling the crate

After routing the edges, Kate and I assembled the bottom slats of our crate by lining up 3 planks inside the wooden frame. Since the planks were a bit wide, we manually sanded down the sides until they were a perfect fit. The bottom slats were secured using wood screws in pilot holes and countersinks creating using the method from Step 2.

Next, we secured the 2×2 lumber pieces to the corners of the frame so they can be stacked vertically. we used 1×4 lumber planks as spacers so the spaces between each frame were evenly distributed. The planks were secured with wood screws using the method from Step 2.

Because of discrepancies in size of the planks, the parts of the crate did not fit together perfectly. When the 2×2 lumber pieces were screwed in too tightly, the joints of the planked frame would come apart. Although the gapping could not be avoided, Kate and I made sure to secure the joints as neatly as possible.

2×2 lumber pieces secured in corners of frame

1×4 planks used as spacers between frames

Step 5: Post-processing sanding

Kate and I started the post-processing of our crate by sanding every surface with the orbital sander, starting with 40 and 60 grit sandpaper. We worked our way up through 100 and 120 grit, and added finishing touches with 180 grit paper.

Our Finished Crate

Our crate in all its glory

Kate and I with our crate!

Cost Analysis 

1x4x8ft = $3.55

• 9x 14.5” long pieces of 1×4 lumber = $7.10
  • 6x 12” long pieces of 1×4 lumber = $3.55
  • 4x 10-11” long pieces of 2×2 lumber = $3.55
  • 1.25” long wood screws = $7.20
  • Labor: 7 hours x $7.25/hour x 2 people = $101.50

Total = $122.90