Case of Duncan

Hi everyone! This task is about making a small cubic box using laser cutter.

Background:

In a wood workshop back in ENGI 120, I have seen others using the laser cutter for engraving a pattern on a wooden night stand. Before doing this project, I completed the laser cutter training both online and offline.

Part 1: Creating the file

From the “Make your own case” website, I set up the parameters of my own case. I first measured the thickness of the wood using a digital caliper, as shown in the photo below, 0.206 inches.

Measurement of wood thickness

From the previous experiences of our other classmates, the ideal KERF value of the box joints should be below 0.007 inches. As a result, I originally set my own value to be 0.0065 inches.

Parameters and file of the case

Part 2: Test cut on the Laser cutter

In order to avoid wasting material, I decided to do a test cut of the wood and a test engraving at the same time. After some experiments, I found out the ideal setting of parameters for me. I set up the vector speed to be 5%, so that it can cut through the wood completely without buring the side of the wood. The power is 100% and frequency is 10%. For the raster, my ideal level of darkness can be done by setting speed to 44% and power to 52%.

Parameters of the Laser cutter settings

The first test cut of the real case parts was not very successful, the joints turned out to be to tight, making it impossible to be assembled. Therefore, the second KERF value was chosen to be 0.005 inches.

Part 3: Cutting the parts of the case

After setting up the focus and jogging the origin to the ideal position, the job was started. The total cutting process took about 11 minutes. All the parts were perfectly cut and rastered as shown in the photo below.

Parts cut completed

Part 4: Assemblying the case

As I wanted the box to be tight, I didn’t reduce the KERF value by much. Therefore, a hammer was needed to firmly assembled the parts together. To add uniqueness, I assembled the front face and the back face in form of a dice, which the user has to roll it to see the correct arrangement of the texts and patterns. (Images are flipped).

Back face of the assembled box

Front face of the assembled box

Successes and Failures

Successes:

The good side of this box is that most of the surfaces of the box is well preserved from being burnt by the laser cutter. In addition, all the joints and fingers are firmly attached without leaving any gaps.

The pattern of the crest and the texts were carved with a perfect coloring.

Failures:

The main failure would be making the joints too firm. All the joints are enhanced by hammering, which makes it almost impossible to be taken apart.

Cost estimate:

Time spent on the box: 2 hours * $15/hr = $30

Cost of wood sheet: $7.99 (1/4 in. x 2 ft. x 2 ft. PureBond Red Oak Plywood Project Panel) from Home Depot

Rental of the laser cutter: approximately 2 * $20/hr = $40

Total cost: $30 + $7.99 + $40 = $77.99