A Perfect Fit

Hello!! Lindsey here again. This time I have upped the anti with a more sophisticated tool than prior: it’s laser cutting time!

I worked with Hayden on this project. We gathered a large, untouched quarter inch thick piece of wood as a clean slate to work on. We used weights to hold it in place on the laser cutting machine, though it was not very warped so it may have been fine to do without them. But we’d always rather be safe than sorry!!

We turned on the laser cutter and set the focal distance with the blue focus tool and were ready to get our file all set up. UsingĀ this website, we created the file for our perfect press fit box (4″ x 4″ x 4″). We decided on a kerf of .007″. We took the generated file and copied her right into Adobe Illustrator, where we could personalize it.

We put on our names, as well as the gorgeous stunning beautiful Lovett logo, and the mid tier Weiss logo. We used the recommended wood cutting settings for our given wood width that were on the wall smack dab in front of us (they would have been rude to ignore), which was a speed of 5, 100 Power, and a frequency of 10. We selected our raster settings based on one of those pieces of wood with the example squares for different settings, deciding on the very middle (50 power and 50 speed) to be the perfect balance for us.

The piece took around 4 minutes to complete, burning just a little bit on the edges but for the most part resulting in a perfect cut. I personally thought we chose the perfect settings for our raster, as the designs came out very clear without being at all marred. After that was done, we just had to get our hands dirty and put it all together.

After a few minutes of huffing and puffing and snapping all those pieces together, I can guarantee you they will not fall apart easily. And at the end we had our finished box!! Yay!!