Plasma Cutting Diamonds (With Jeff!)

Project Overview:

For this project we had to plasma cut diamonds that have been post processed using three (3) different methods. Document our process, and give two deliverable diamonds at the end of the project.

The Process:

The first step of the process was determining what design we wanted to do. Jeff had a really cool idea to insert some practicality in our design and we incorporated a side for measuring and a bottle cap opener. There are also hex bolt slots and our diamonds can be quickly turned into useful tools. We then set up our file and cut our pieces on the plasma cutter.

The file

The pieces immediately after plasma cutting

We kinda screwed up the actual cutting of the piece and the plasma cutter is not very precise. So some of the functionality of the tool was lost hence the not very hexagonal slots for our hex wrench holes. The size of the cut was also too large because we did a male cut and removed excess material on the outside of our interior holes. However, bottle cap works! Plasma cutting was very fast and simple.

After the pieces were cut we set to grinding them down. It went pretty well, but if we had the sandblaster working we probably would have made that a step after this. Despite the lack of sandblasting the spray paint stuck well to the diamonds and they ended up looking pretty vibrant if I say so myself.

Grinding the diamonds

Finished grinding!

After spray paint

The next step was etching our initials, measuring elements, and the steps we took onto our diamonds. We made a wooden slot for the pieces to fit into in order to ensure consistency and make the process faster. After they were finished with the etching we coated the pieces with a clear finish. I used a matte finish because I think it looks cooler that way.

The wooden slot

Piece after etching was completed

Piece after the gloss dried

Reflection:

Things I would like to work on in the future:

• Male versus Female cut paths
  • Water jetting smaller cuts
  • Sandblasting if it is available

Overall I am really happy with how our diamonds turned out. Due to Jeff’s genius this is probably my favorite project that we’ve done so far. I would have liked to use the sand blaster and will probably include that as a step in the future. Additionally I would not use the plasma cutter for smaller objects, if I were to make this same design again I would water jet the diamond and probably end up with a much nicer looking piece.

Cost Estimate:

• Material
    • Metal: 15$
    • Spray Paint: 5$
  • Time Cost
    • 4 hours labor at 15$ = 60$
  • Overhead Cost: 80ish$

Total: 160$