abstract world

In this project I created two identical steel diamonds that have a abstract world in the center of each. I really enjoyed learning and using new tools such as the plasma cutter, angle grinder, and vinyl cutter to create this project.

Process:

I made an Ai File with 2 diamonds with a world in the center.

Then I used the plasma cutter following the instructions with Brendan and printed two diamonds. I decided to print again to not only have extra diamonds, but also to correct starting point of the laser because you could see a small tail on the shape. The lab assistant helped me remove the second layer of the design which is what we thought cause the mark however, this did not fix it. Also in this step, we used the speeds suggested by the lab assistant there.

Then I used the angle grinder to remove the melted metal slag form the diamonds. I placed my pieces on the magnetic clamp to keep them still.  

Next, I filed the corners the diamonds because they were really sharp. I also filed the edges some because the they did not match the smoothness that the flat surfaces had from the angle grinder.

Because the sandblaster was broken, I decided to spray paint my piece and I did this by first applying primer. I did two layers on both sides and waited about 10 minutes between each layer.

The next day I decided to go in with the actual spray paint color. I did a layer of black on each side and waited about an 2 hours in between and left it on the rack.

When I came back from midterm recess, I did not like the texture and marks that was left on my piece so I repainted it. This time with a can that was fuller and I really like how the finish was more matte and not as shiny as the first time I did it.

Lastly, my world design was really difficult to see so I decided to use the vinyl cutter to display the pieces of land. I created a new Ai File with the pieces of land as well as the inverse of the land for the back side of the diamond. I imported the file and cut it on a white piece of vinyl. I originally was hoping there would be green vinyl paper but there wasn’t.

I thought about coloring the white vinyl pieces green to really make it look like a world, but the white ended up being very aesthetic with the black matte and I like the abstract design it portrays.

Reflection: 

Before starting this project I was a bit nervous because I hadn’t used the tools before, however, now I am confident in these new skills and I would definitely do it again. I am really proud of my paint coat because it turned out very smooth and cohesive. I wish I figured out how to remove the laser tail however, I am glad both tails look very identical almost as if it is a part of the design. I really liked using the vinyl cutter and it was fairly simple to use.

Cost Estimation: 

Raw materials: (Primer, Paint, Steel) $9 + $8 + $15

Labor: 6 hours x $15/hr  ~$90.00

Machine time: (Plasma Cutter, Vinyl Cutter, Angle Grinder, File) ~ ($7,000/365 ) + ($1000/365) + ($80/365) + $1 ~ $24.00

Total Cost Estimate: $146.00

I am not sure my total cost estimate is an overestimate or underestimate. According to the raw materials I am probably overestimating because I did not use the whole sheet of steel nor the whole spray bottles. But I could be underestimating the machine time costs.