OctoPRINTus

Project Overview:

For this project we were tasked with printing an “impossible” object. What this means is it must be something that cannot be physically reproduced using anything but 3D-printing. We had to turn in 5 different deliverables of identical objects and they must all fit inside little gumballs to be dispensed at the OEDK. We also had to use a minimum of two different 3D-printing techniques. I love animals and I liked the idea of a moving/wiggling object so after a bit of searching on thingiverse I found this wonderful file of an octopus with interlocking appendages. Linked here is the webpage from thingiverse.

Deliverable

The Process:

The first printing method I used was FDM on the PRUSA printers at the makers bar. I had some small problems printing on the PRUSA’s. First getting the sizing right was difficult I had to guess the dimensions that I thought would fit into the gumballs. (This is why I have several different sized octopus) I was also initially printing on a thick raft underneath the octopus which would sometimes cause the arms to get broken off while removing the supports. After fixing these little issues I eventually got 4 solid octopi from the FDM printing style and moved onto the next method.

FDM printer

FDM post processing print

The second method was SLA and is a resin printer also by PRUSA. This went much smoother than the FDM printers in my opinion. I had to use a slightly different software that I was originally unfamiliar with but it was very easy to learn. This print went significantly faster than the FDM prints and turned out much smoother. The matte black color on it is really nice and adds to the lack of visible layers giving it a silky effect.

SLA printer

SLA print pre  cleaning and curing process

SLA post processing print

Five final octopi

Reflection:

Things I would like to work on in the future:

• Experiment more prints using SLA
  • Plan/consider different plate adhesion methods before printing

This project was a lot of fun to do and the deliverables at the end were super fun to play with. Sometimes organizing the printing process between so many people and so few printers was hard, but it was manageable. I definitely am a lot more comfortable on the 3D-printers at the OEDK and more familiar with the entire process. Getting to use the SLA printer was a great learning experience and I want to use it much more in the future.

Cost Estimate:

• Material
    • plastic (PLA): 2$
    • Resin (SLA): 3$
  • Time Cost
    • 4hr X 15$ = 60$
  • Overhead: tbd
    • SLA printer costs ~4000$ FDM printer costs ~800$

Total: 65$