LongBoi

I 3D printed an articulating snake using FDM and SLA printing processes. The steps are as follows:

1. I found an object on thingiverse.com that is nearly impossible to create using methods other than 3D printing. The articulating snake is such an object because creating the articulating locks on snake’s body is practically impossible using different methods.
  2. I then downloaded this object as a .stl file and uploaded it to 3DPrinterOS. The object was then scaled with respect to the gum ball dimensions and sliced with raft support.
  3. The object was then sent to FDM printers. The object was printed four times and then, using an Exacto knife, the raft was separated from the object.
  4. The scaled .stl file was then uploaded to PreForm. Using PreForm, the object was reoriented and supports were added to it in preparation for SLA printing. Multiple peers teamed up to put their objects in the same print to improve efficiency.
  5. The final file was then uploaded to the printer and the print began.
  6. After printing, the object was washed, separated from its supports, and finally cured.

Cost Estimation

1. Cost of FDM Print (provided by 3DPrinterOS) = $0.08 + $0.09 + ($0.15)(8) = $1.37
  2. SLA Printer Resin ($180/L) = $9

Total Cost = $10.37