Operation B.E.A.R.I.N.G.

Objective: To create an “impossible product” (a product that would not be viable to produce in any other way besides 3D printing) using two different types of 3D printing methods.

Resources:

• PLA Filament
  • SLA Resin
  • 8.5″ x 11″ paper (Thingiverse Paper Strip)
  • Vending Capsules (To place in each bearing and Thingiverse Strip)

Tools Used:

• Thingiverse (To find the bearing STL File)
  • 3D Printer OS and Formlabs (Software to send the file to the FDM and SLA Printers respectively)
  • SLA Curer and Washer (To cure and wash resin print job)
  • Tweezers and Pliers (To remove the support attachments from the print jobs)
  • Wire brush (To sand down the SLA Resin print job)
  • Printer (To print out the Thingiverse Paper Strip)

Operation Costs: $350

• 6 hours of printing ($1o0)
  • 30 mins of removing the supports using the pliers and wire brushing ($25)
  • 1 PLA Filament ($25) and 1 SLA Resin Pack ($150)
  • My entire weekend at the OEDK ($50)

Operation Rewards:

• Seven (4 turned in) FDM prints of a bearing
  • One SLA print of a bearing
  • Experience in using a FDM and SLA Printer

Process:

1. Find and download the bearing file (on Thingiverse)
  2. Add file to 3D Printer OS and Formlabs
  3. 3D Print on FDM and SLA Printers
  4. Remove Supports and Cure/Wash SLA Printed Bearing
  5. Wire brush for finishing touches

Lessons Learned:

• Choose an object that does not require too much support. My first 3D idea (impossible basketball) needed such an extensive raft that taking out the raft would consistently ruin the back of the basketball design.
  • Make sure to check the dimensions of the capsule BEFORE 3D printing. My first print was almost twice the diameter of the capsule, so it did not fit at all.
  • Keep in mind of the size of the bearing. My second print was small enough to fit inside the capsule, but it was too small for the bearings to turn. I then had to find a bearing size that fit the Goldilocks’ scenario: big enough for the bearing to function while small enough to fit inside the capsule.
  • The SLA Printer seems to be “stickier” than the FDM Printer. Although the material in the FDM Printer had a small enough friction for the bearing to turn, it seemed as if the material in the SLA Printer stuck to each other, which lead to my SLA printed bearing to not function.

Reconnaissance:

FDM Print in Progress. Make sure to keep track on how long each of your prints take. A great way to save time is to print your first bearing all by itself. This will allow you to test the bearing afterwards to make sure that you have the correct size.

First FDM Print: While this was a working model, it was way too big to fit in the capsule.

.

Second FDM Print: This model was small enough to fit inside the capsule, but it was not a working model.

Three different sizes of FMD Print: The Middle print is the “Goldilocks” of the bearings!

SLA Printer: Getting ready for my (along with three other people’s) print jobs. You can save hours of printing time if you print at the same time as other people.

Formlabs Software to send STL File to SLA Printer. This software works a little differently than the 3D Printer OS (FDM Printer Software), and it accounts for more structural support for the object.

Results of SLA Printing, Curing, Washing, Removing Supports, and Wire Brushing. This was a long process because there were many, many supports attached to the bearing.

All the bearings in one happy family! 

Bearings with Thingiverse Strips: Ready to Deploy!