Lil boat

My roommate recently bought me an inflatable boat for my birthday so I was inspired to make a boat for my CNC project. I decided on a sailboat because they are simple and look cool. This is how it went.

Process:

I started by looking through files on the noun project and then found a simple sailboat image with two sails. I saved the SVG and then uploaded it to Carbide Create. I found a piece of scrap wood and used the band saw to cut it in half for my two cut pieces, and then I measured the height and width of the piece with a ruler and the thickness with a caliper. I input the measurements into carbide create and then set the toolpaths for my part. I used inside cuts for the inside detail and then outside cuts for the outside of the part. For the inside cuts, I used a depth of 0.125″ for the inside cuts, and stock bottom (thickness of the piece) for the outside cut.

Working with Carbide Create

I saved the gcode to the computer and then uploaded it to carbide motion. I taped the wood piece to the base of the nomad and then completed the probe on the bottom left corner before inserting a 1/8″ two flute ball mill upcut to complete the cut.

CNC in progress

The first cut ran pretty smooth, but the thickness was slightly too small, so the cut did not go all the way through the part. For the next piece, I remeasured four places across the piece and took an average of the thicknesses that I measured, and ran the cut again, this time it was much more accurate.

I had two products I was satisfied to move on with, so I went downstairs and used a chisel to get the second piece out, but because the first one still had a significant layer on the bottom I used a bandsaw to cut it out.

Cut out boats

I sanded the front side of the piece with 80-grit sandpaper to remove all of the rough parts left from the upcut, and then finished the piece with 220-grit sandpaper to smooth it out, ensuring to get the insides of the cut too. Finally, I wanted a slightly darker natural wood look, so I stained it with Danish Oil, applying two layers with 30 minutes in between applications.

Staining the pieces

After 24 hours, the stain was dry and the pieces were done. I was satisfied with my final product and feel confident using the CNC now.

Final Pieces

Reflection

Using the CNC was a trial and error process but through it I learned how to approach different problems that might occur when using it, so here are some reflections I have for future CNC projects:

1. Ensure that the thickness of the wood is measured correctly, and if it is not uniform, use a planer to make it uniform or take an average value of thicknesses measured at multiple points.
  2. Ensure that the magnet is attached to the mill piece so that it can probe correctly.
  3. Ensure the piece being cut is small enough to fit within the space that the CNC can handle at maximum x,y, and z positions.
  4. When using carbide create, it is necessary to experiment with different paths and simulate their results

These were the main issues I came across with the CNC and associated software, and now I feel confident using and helping others to use it as I assisted some classmates with their homework projects.

Cost Estimate

Wood (1 4″x8″ piece) = $6.00

Danish Oil = $20.00

CNC Machine (for single use) = $10.00

Overhead Costs (OEDK Equipment, Staff, etc.) = $20.00

Labor Costs 4hr @ $20.00/hr = $80.00

Total Cost: $136.00