Project 4: Plasma Cutting and Finishing

These are the steps that I took to complete my fourth ENGI 210 Project: Plasma Cutting and Finishing

Step 1: Creating a design on Adobe Illustrator

The first step to this project was to create a vector design on Adobe Illustrator. I decided to design a desert scene with a cactus and a sunset within the diamond template posted on Canvas. To to this, I pulled an image of a cactus from The Noun Project. In Adobe Illustrator, I cut out the inside of the diamond template to make a frame and added the cactus design and a setting sun in the top corner. I made sure to combine all the components of my design into one shape.

Step 2: Converting SVG to DXF file

Next, I brought my Illustrator design over to Torchmate.edu. On this program, I prepared my file to be cut on the plasma cutter by following the instructions and settings outlined in the assignment document and exported the file as a .DXF file.

Step 3: Cutting out the design using the Plasma Cutter

Finally, I imported the design into Torchmate 4 to plasma cut my design. I decided to use steel because I wanted to use the magnetic grinding block when post processing. Following the instructions on the plasma cutter, I was able to create 4 cut-outs of my design with little to no problems.

Cutting out diamond designs out of steel sheet using plasma cutter

Step 4: Post Processing

For post processing, I started by cleaning up the edges of my cut-outs with the angle grinder. I used the magnetic grinding block to hold down my design and used the angle grinder to remove the slag.

Diamond piece on magnetic grinding block with angle grinder

Next, I used the sand blaster to refine the surface of my steel pieces. I passed over both sides of my piece twice in order to achieve a finish that I was satisfied with.

Diamond piece after sandblasting

Finally, I used two coats of clear-coat spray paint to produce a glossy finish. The pieces were left on the drying rack overnight to dry. 

Clear-coat used on diamond pieces

Cost Analysis:

• Steel sheet = $13.00
  • Crystal clear enamel spray paint = $6.98
  • Labor: 4 hours * $15/hour = $60.00

Total: $79.98